The former head of news at Minnesota Public Radio, Bill Buzenberg, shared his network’s “Ten Tenets from MPR News” to a gathering of PRNDI members.
- standards matter.
- journalists should make decisions about important news coverage.
- in the independence of MPR news.
- there should be a sharp distinction between news and entertainment.
- that content is king, and words are the key to that content.
- in appealing to the mind, not just the senses or emotions.
- credibility and respect are worth more than popularity.
- journalism is a profession.
- news is a public service, and not a profit center.
- that the First Amendment comes with enormous responsibility to serve the public.
See the complete list:
Sample-MPR News Tenets.pdf
Note that the tenth item also includes the network’s mission statement.
Leave a Reply